Nandrolone DecanoateWhat is Nandrolone Decanoate?
Nandrolone decanoate is a drug indicated for the treatment of acute renal failure, anaemia of chronic renal failure and chronic renal insufficiency. It may also be prescribed for the palliative treatment of inoperable mammary carcinoma. Other therapeutic indications of nandrolone decanoate are the following: aplastic anaemica, osteoporosis and patients on long-term treatment with corticosteroids. Nandrolone decanoate is a drug that belongs to the anabolic steroids class of drugs. Therefore it may be used to rebuild tissues that have become weak due to serious injury. It may also be used to increase the bone mass. Nandrolone decanoate is a drug that may be obtained only with prescription. Before starting the therapy with this drug, contact your healthcare provider and get all information about potential interaction with other drugs, possible side effects and other important information related to the therapy with nandrolone decanoate.
- Nandrolone decanoate is contraindicated in patients with a known hypersensitivity to it or to any of its excipients such as arachis oil and soya. Patients who are allergic to peanuts and soya should be cautious to the use of nandrolone decanoate and find an appropriate substitute.
- Patients with known or suspected prostatic carcinoma or mammary carcinoma in the male should avoid the use of nandrolone decanoate. It is recommended to first make all necessary laboratory studies and thereafter decide whether this drug is appropriate for their medical condition or not.
- Nandrolone decanoate is contraindicated in pregnancy due to the fact that it crosses the placenta and may develop unwanted features in fetus. If you are pregnant or intend to become pregnant while using this medicine, prevent your doctor right away and discontinue immediately with the drug.
- Do not use nandrolone decanoate if breastfeeding. It may have virilising effect on the baby due to the fact that it is excreted into breast milk. If the use of nandrolone decanoate is necessary, avoid breastfeeding.
- Avoid the therapy with nandrolone decanoate if you have nephrosis or the nephrotic phase of nephritis;
- Patients with clinical evidence of the following conditions should also be aware of the aggravation of existent symptoms if used with nandrolone decanoate: liver disease with impaired bilirubin excretion and cardiac failure.
- Patients are advised to not exceed the prescribed doses, unless instructed by a physician to do so.
- If any signs of virilisation are detected, discontinue with the drug and treat the symptoms.
- It is not recommended the use of nandrolone decanoate in children less than 3 years of age due to the fact the medicine contains benzyl alcohol and it may cause toxic reactions and anaphylactoid reactions in children up to 3 years of age.
- It is recommended to make regular checks and medical examinations in order to monitor the digital rectal examination of the prostate and to exclude benign hyperplasia or a sub-clinical prostate cancer. It is also necessary to evaluate the hematocrit and hemoglobin in order to exclude polycythemia.
- It is important to stay under the supervision of physicians in case you have mammary carcinoma, bronchial carcinoma, hypernephroma and skeletal metastases. You may develop hypercalcemia also during anabolic steroid therapy and it can be an indicator for positive tumour response to the hormonal treatment.
- Also, patients with pre-existing cardiac, hepatic or renal insufficiency anabolic steroid treatment may aggravate the conditions and cause edema with or without congestive heart failure. If this is the case, discontinue with the drug immediately and receive appropriate treatment.
Nandrolone decanoate is a medicine that comes in form of injection. Patients need to follow the treatment exactly as prescribed. If there is an improvement and normalization of the red blood cells has been obtained, discontinue with the drug and periodically monitor the hematologic parameters. The length of therapy with nandrolone decanoate may differ from patient to patient. If the desired therapeutic results have not been obtained within 3-6 months of therapy, discontinue with the drug.
It is recommended to administer nandrolone decanoate by deep intramuscular injection. The dosage depends on the particular condition of the patient and response to treatment. Generally, it is indicated one injection every 2-3 weeks.
Potential interaction with other drugs
Prior to commencing therapy with nandrolone decanoate prevent your doctor about all medicines you are taking, including prescription, non-prescription, herbal products, vitamins, minerals and natural supplements. There are medicines that in interaction with nandrolone decanoate may cause serious adverse reactions. This is the reason it is important to mention to a physician all medicines you are taking and take a list of medicines that should not be used concurrently with nandrolone decanoate. It is not recommended the concomitant administration of nandrolone decanoate with the following medicines:
- Enzyme-inducing agents;
- Oral anticoagulants;
- Insulin and other hypoglycemic agents;
- Recombinant human erythropoietin.
Like all medicines, nandrolone decanoate may cause side effects when used in prescribed doses. It is an obvious fact if taking into consideration that every person reacts in a different way to a drug than other person. For some patients, the side effects with nandrolone decanoate may be mild and transient, while for others moderate and even severe. Always report about any adverse reactions you get to experience.
Possible side effects with nandrolone decanoate are considered the following:
- Fluid retention;
- Oily skin;
- Greasy hair;
- Increased blood pressure (hypertension);
- Abnormal liver function;
- Incomplete statural growth.
- Enlargement of the penis;
- Enlargement of the breast;
- Painful erections;
- Testicular atrophy.
Patients are advised to report about any side effects you experience during therapy with nandrolone decanoate and discontinue with the drug. After discontinuation with the drug, most of the developed side effects can be quickly treated. Assess all the risks prior to the initiation of therapy with the drug in order to decrease the incidence of side effects.
Overdosage with Nandrolone Decanoate
Generally the injections are given under medical supervision of a physician and there is little possibility of overdosage with the drug. However, the medicine injected might be too high and intolerant. Report about any side effects you experience after receiving injection.
If you missed a dose
It is unlikely to miss doses in normal conditions if taking into consideration the fact that the injections are given once every 2-3 weeks under medical supervision. However, if you missed a scheduled injection, contact your physician and re-schedule the skipped injection. Try to not skip the visits to a physician and follow all the instructions.